Saturday, September 30, 2006

Birthdays

Tomorrow is my twenty-sixth birthday. I don't know when it happened, but I stopped getting excited about the annual event. I'm not afraid of growing older. In fact, I like the idea. I just have that blah feeling. My mother called to ask if I wanted my favorite birthday cake tomorrow (chocolate mousse cake - yum!), and I told her I don't know. I really don't know what I want.

I asked for a bicycle helmet so that I can take my bike off the paved trails.
I asked for shelving units for my basement.
I asked my dad to run electricity throughout the basement so that I can have an outlet away from the laundry tub.

Do I really need these things? I suppose not, although the helmet may help me stay alive on the trails I plan to ride.

I am aware that birthdays are a way for us to become aware that life IS moving forward, but my life feels like it is at a standstill.


Some of my friends deal with birthdays differently. Some throw themselves parties.
Some just gather friends in small setting. Some continue like it is just another day.
Perhaps I should just disappear for a day. Maybe I'll wake up early and go to the bridge I like in Hines and take some pictures.

5 comments:

Joe C said...

Happy birthday.

Lish said...

My first happy birthday wish of the day...Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Lish!
Use your birthday to celebrate the fact that you survived another year and are still kickin'.
A time may come when you realize how blessed you are to have recieved this gift.
And celebrate your parents (especially mom) they are the ones that actually labored to bring you into this world.

But to celebrate you, I have a small gift -- a special thanks for being my best friend and my celebration of your life.
You'll have to wait until Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. And 26? wow. Being 27 sounds just that much older.

Which bridge in Hines do you like so much? I ride hines frequently, as it is a long part of my regular 15 mile ride I do.

Messed Up said...

happy birthday, I know what bridge you are talking about it is also my fav. hope you have a good day and all.