Monday, October 02, 2006

School safety

I have been on my boss's case about pulling together a practice code red drill at my school. I have been telling her since before the school year began that we need to have procedures in place. We recently got to the point that I raised my voice to her that she has not provided a safe environment for her students and staff.

She has been repeating that violence like what's been happening elsewhere (Canada, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) "won't happen here." I have not been accepting that easily. She didn't want to run a drill because it was too much to worry about. In addition, she does not even require exterior doors be closed throughout the day.

The local police departments have just ordered her to do several practice drills this week. I was going to speak to our union rep tomorrow to discuss my concerns with inadequate safety.

Who knew that I would be taking my life in my hands by teaching in a high school?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad that someone with authority is getting on her case about providing a safe environment.

I will continue to pray that a better opportunity presents itself for you (whether they shape up the policies at BHS or you find employment elsewhere).