Sunday, December 13, 2009

Fed Up

I've been listening to someone recently who keeps saying how he wants something more than what he has. I asked if he wanted my help since I spend every day helping people get where they plan to go. He said yes. I offer information, guidance, resources, etc. He does absolutely nothing with any of these things, telling me I don't understand. He doesn't like that I have a plan to help him move beyond his excuses.

I unleashed some of my frustration at this person today over the phone when I, once again, was trying to show him how to go about doing something that he says he wants to do. When he came back with the same stupid excuses that don't actually follow logic, I pointed out that he is just lazy and not willing to work toward anything better. I told him I have no sympathy for him. He is determined to stay at the bottom of the food chain. I told him that if he truly wants something better, he is the one who has to change because the world isn't going to change for him.

He became angry with me, and I understand that he truly wants me to believe that he is incapable of doing anything more productive with his life. I offer no pity, and that probably frustrated him further.

I just truly believe that we are ultimately responsible for the situations of our life. Those who choose to not go to school and move up the economic ladder make that choice by not seeking out avenues for loans, No Worker Left Behind programs, and other work-study options. Those who stick around in the same job that offers no medical benefits packages and no training funds get no sympathy, either. Minimum wage jobs are out there that do offer these things to their employees. One just has to seek them out and be professional enough to land the job.

Beyond this, there are cost-saving methods that will allow for one to squirrel money away. Rebates for products, necessary services, and medications help. One just has to keep track of everything. Not buying frivolous things that do not serve to shelter or feed someone will help. Creating a skill or craft that is easy, i.e. knitting. People spend all kinds of money on homemade scarves at craft shows. Yes, men are not typically knitters, but it is simple and can be done while watching TV, talking on the phone, etc. Six dollars in yarn can net fifteen to twenty dollars for some sort of product. Granted that factors one's time into it, but if you are doing something else for yourself during that time, it's a win-win situation.

Selling unused items at sales, on ebay, or through Amazon works well. People are always looking for things, and it is nice to get money for the stuff you don't plan to use ever again.

Get a second job! If you have the time, then earn some extra cash for those items in the future that you know you will need.

Volunteer with an organization. While the pay is absolutely terrible, organizations will routinely train their people in some area, so you can learn a trade or something and use that for a later job.

Check the continuing education classes at local schools. I decided in 1999 or 2000 to take Jeremy on a date. We went to a forklift training class that was offered through KVCC for %5.00 each. We both enjoyed a hearty breakfast and a hearty lunch (definitely worth more than $5.00!!!) and gained a certification we could take with us to a job, if necessary. It was boring in parts, but we learned something new. I even found an error in operator usage with maximum weight loads and helped change the legal regulations (am I awesome or what!?!).

No Worker Left Behind is an incredible program and is completely free. There is no excuse to not use it if you are earning less than 40K.

Use coupons whenever possible.

Save change and actually use it to buy things you need.

Join a local freecycle or ecycle group on yahoo to find items that other people are simply discarding before they turn it into trash. The WesternWayne one is great, as well as the two A2 groups. People request things and other people offer. All one has to do is contact the people. It's wonderful. I received grapevines that I planted in my backyard. I am excited because the guy was just going to throw them in the compost heap. I was able to salvage something that may just result in fresh grapes in my own backyard.

What a frustrating day!

No comments: