Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Amazon update and other ideas

I contacted customer service at Amazon. They are sending another copy of the book I ordered but did not receive. Yay for them! Yay for me!

The only irritating thing is that I really did need that book this week for a project my students are completing in my German class, and Amazon won't rush it out to me unless I pay extra.

I should just write my own teacher guides for teaching German and sell them through one publisher (or my mentor teacher and I can compile all of her materials from the last fifteen years). I already have prototypes of several of the product ideas I'd like to sell. There is no reason for foreign language teachers to have to make new items every year. There is also no reason to overcharge for relatively simple products that are just time-consuming to create. I think I could get this rolling fairly quickly, too.

I am realizing that my life has not been as boring as I previously thought.

This is not a complete list, but still some of the things that have shaped my life thus far...

Since the turn of the century, I have...

started and continued a wonderful relationship with a great man.
taken on leadership roles in a variety of organizations (in college and in my career).
earned my bachelor's degree in four years with two majors and a minor.
moved to another state and started a career.
made new friends (including people from all walks of life - even a coke-head or two! Trevor, in particular brings to mind many interesting tales).
adopted two cats
moved back to my home state and continued to carve out my career path
taken graduate courses at two universities and maintained a 4.0 graduate GPA (Western was decent - one class included a day of drinking and writing in Saugatuck! Ball State has awesome journalism courses!)
worked at four different schools, each with a very different emphasis on educational philosophy.
helped to plan my sister's wedding
stood up in a wedding
learned how to salsa dance
been a "regular" at several bars.
developed a taste for wine
been trapped in a public restroom with Reenee (there's nothing like screaming for help to an empty beach, right Reenee?)
been unsuccessfully pursued by several men.
taught English, Language Arts, journalism, percussion, and German
attended weddings of friends
thought I found God or some other deity.
severed ties to some friends who really aren't sincere (and I don't regret my decision)
lost God or whatever.
been accepted into grad school (my classes start in May at Eastern)
reconnected with many friends from the past (I visited with Krysten and Teresa a month or so ago. I went out to Boogie Fever with Reenee and Beck on Friday. I went to dinner with Will on Monday, which was totally cool! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I bumped into Noah in a random bar in Ypsi. I found Laura on MySpace.)
been published (and more is on its way!).
gotten engaged!!!
bought my very own washer and dryer set.
purchased two brand new vehicles.
left music and returned to it in full force.
have met one of my heroes - Desmond Tutu
have talked to Russell Simmons on the phone.
won a Smoothie-maker.
received a certificate of appreciation from the White House during Cheney's visit to Battle Creek.
attended the 2005 Kellogg's "World's Longest Breakfast Table" event where someone was shot.
Lost relatives.
Gained relatives.
had my car shot at (Gifford, Florida).
lost control over my brakes while driving in Florida (great story about seeking help from a "local").
lost total control of a car but managed to avoid several deadly possibilities and the car made it out in perfect form, too (miraculous story there - yes, I've spun out of control and ended up in a ditch without a scratch or bump on me or my car).
had to use self-defense moves I learned from a course in college.
injured myself during physical training
purchased a really good moutain bike (hills, here I come!)
been sexually harassed at work.
reported sexually harassment.
successfully rid myself of obsessive-compulsive tendencies (although a little too well...)
started doing photography again.
found and lost and found and lost and found inspiration for writing.
embraced growing older.
found myself enjoying who I am now.
starting focusing on the future.

I need to stop now. It's late and Jeremy is finally home. I need to go to bed.

No comments: