Thursday, March 08, 2007

New MySpace layout and other useless information

It's official...I'm totally addicted to MySpace. I decided to revamp the look. While it isn't as personalized as I would like, it looks much better than it did.

Does this really warrant a blog entry? No. I'm just having trouble finding my rhythm during my midwinter break, and my newfound inspiration is only leading to somewhat tawdry short stories and (extremely) short scripts, which I have no intention of sharing at this juncture. What I should really be focusing on is poetry - I need to start teaching poetry this coming week. I'd like to teach everything through a slam poetry approach, but I don't know if my school really embraces that. I should ask, but I am afraid of what I will hear.

I remember going to poetry readings as a teenager. Not a single one of my students has been to one (or no one is willing to admit they had attended one). If I had my own room instead of teaching from a cart, I think I would be able to convert the space into a coffee house and show them what something like that would be like. I found them exciting. I learned peoples' secrets and fears. I learned about perspective through others' metaphors.

I am considering asking James to come in to talk to my students about slam poetry. He has been involved with numerous slams in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek over the years, and I think his explanation and demonstration could really reach some of these students.

Any thoughts out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot remember the last time went to a poetry reading. It had to be when I was on the road touring sometime between 1999-2002 I think.

I do remember attending some "open mic" sessions in which there were several readings. Those may have been more recent, but still a couple years back.

Poetry "slams" were, and are, something that just a slight portion of any generation enjoyed. Fewer still are the people who actually particpated.

On this basis alone I think it is a good idea to have someone come and teach your classes about it. Even if none of the students have a desire to participate in such as thing, it would be a lesson in a part of our culture they may not be fully familiar with.

Anyway...

MySpace. My little corner of MySpace can be found at myspace.com/anotherrandomguy. I only check it when I get an email stating someone has sent me a friend request or message. In spite of that, feel free to "friend" me if you want.

I already went through my few days of MySpace addiction. I really only surfed MySpace to try and find people I had lost contact with. I never really got as bad as other people.

I see no reason to spend the time with "Layouts" or backgrounds or anything like that. I have a simple page that will never be "upgraded". if someone wants to know about me, I feel they can contact me directly (or read my blog), rather then me just being another MySpace "friend."

I also instituted a personal policy a while ago that i only add "friends" who I know or have met in person. Having hundreds of "friends" on myspace seems pointless, especially since none of them care anything about me, except that there friend count is higher then somebody else's. Not adding a ton of people also keeps down on the random Spam Messages and anonymous friend requests that everyone starts to recieve anyway.

Blah.

Well, that is my thoughts for now. Theodore and I are 'most likely' going to be having his annual Irish get together with dinner and whatnot next weekend, You and Jeremy ae invited if you want to stop by. I can give you more information if you want to contact me, (on myspace perhaps?) lol

Lish said...

I agree about limiting the friend list on MySpace. I went through and eliminated many people - mostly people with whom I have not had contact. I still have a few who are not "friends", but I have met and talked to everyone on my list in person, including Russell Simmons (I even had my students interview him!).

Thanks for the invite! I will have to check with my rehearsal schedule and all, but I would love to visit with both of you!