Thursday, July 17, 2008

Broader Horizons

I feel different now. Well, maybe not different. Perhaps more the same...it's difficult to explain, but I shall try. The old me was adventurous. I haven't been that person in quite some time, and traveling to Europe has awakened a part of me that loves all things new. I was scared to travel so far away, even though I would have jumped at the chance prior to graduating from college. It all worked out perfectly, though, and I was able to use some of that German I teach to my students.

The trip wasn't life-changing, but it did broaden my horizons. I wouldn't mind living somewhere else, especially if that place offered ample opportunity to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The U.S. does lack a certain connection I definitely felt throughout Germany (although I didn't visit a lot of places). While in Europe, we used public transportation and walked more than we would have in a typical week here. I can understand why Germans are such a healthy nation.


Other places we plan to visit over the next few years:

London, England
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ireland
Capetown, South Africa
New Zealand
Australia
Austria
Switzerland
The Netherlands
Belgium
Germany (again)
Poland (well, I want to go there to see the land of my ancestors)
Anchorage, Alaska
Montana
northern California
Washington / Oregon
Denver, Colorado

No comments: