Saturday, May 15, 2010

almost there

I used to be in control of almost every aspect of my life. I felt it necessary to have this control, even though it was destroying me. Since my life, pretty much, fell apart over a year ago, I've been focusing on only controlling the parts of my life that are my responsibility.

The deep level of unhappiness I experienced was not healthy, but I enjoyed the control. I had people wrapped around my finger.


I now feel much happier on a daily basis. I miss some of the aspects of the life I used to lead, and I've tried to regain them. I've failed. I no longer have anyone wrapped around any finger, and I feel irritated by this when I should be pleased that I no longer feel as though I am manipulating anyone. Every experience is supposed to be based on a partnership - with nature, with other people, etc.

I remember having a healthy outlook on the world a long time ago. I remember feeling that tug-of-war in a healthy way. I changed, fundamentally. I became scared of adventure, power struggles, and new experiences. I let these things take over the positive life experiences I had.

That is part of my decision to plan a road trip for the summer. I want to be alone. I want to push myself back out into the world that I want to trust and experience in a way I wasn't ready to do ten years ago - in a way I still wasn't ready to do one year ago.

I'm stronger now.

No comments: