Monday, May 02, 2011

Recollections - NICU & Rehab floors

I don't remember a lot of the neuro ICU. I screamed and cussed a lot. I had tubes everywhere, and nurses repeatedly had to put arm and leg restraints on me to keep me from pulling everything out. Unfortunately, the hospital staff decided to insert a catheter into my bladder while I was conscious. I fought the best I could, but they forced it in.

Lots of people visited, but I recall nothing of the visits.

The Rehab floor was slightly better, but I was still miserable. The medication didn't do anything to help me feel better. My vitals were checked constantly, especially once I had fallen asleep. The medication was typically in pill-form and didn't go down easily. The injections in the stomach (to prevent seizures, I think) were bad, but I was able to tolerate them toward the end of my hospital stay.

Therapy felt like torture, and I hated leaving my room for this regularly scheduled anguish. The diaper-lady roommate made me freak out about germs. The family was always around, and I felt crowded. I paced the halls a lot once I was allowed to use a cane.

No comments: