Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back to normal as we know it

I received my insurance check and quickly deposited it. The workday today was chaotic. Nothing was organized, and I couldn't tell what was going on. I am feeling somewhat better about teaching off of a cart in others' rooms, but I would much rather have my own room. I will have key access to the English department office, which will help me to keep my belongings and materials safe overnight.

1st period: Freshman Seminar (Study Hall, study skills, grades and activities check-in) and collaboration days with my department chair (alternating days with another teacher)

2nd period: German 1

3rd period: Planning period (most likely in the English office)

4th period: English 10

A Lunch

5th period: English 10

6th period: English 10

7th period: German 1



Jeremy just called. I have to pick him up at the airport. He was on a trip he wasn't supposed to be on - an inept female pilot he works with decided to call in sick on Monday because she wanted to extend her weekend and stay up north (at least I think she was up north). In any case, Jeremy was called in to fly on an overnight trip, and then they extended his stay an extra night. I hope his coworker gets fired. She has done this too many times. We've had to cancel our scheduled (and approved) VACATIONS because she doesn't want to do her job. I firmly believe everyone should be given an equal shot at doing a job, but when people want privileges and do not perform like everyone else in the same job (they all receive equal pay), they should lose that job. It's that simple.
The old paradigm - Equal work, equal pay. We need to shift it around for those lazy people - equal pay, EQUAL work.

I learned that I work with a distant cousin at my school. Many of the older teachers have claimed that my last name sounds so familiar. I tell them that my parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents went to this high school, but they claim that that is not it. What else could it be?
I found my parents' composite photos in the hallway display at work today. I don't know what it is about seeing my parents so much younger that is interesting. I guess it's that I wasn't even someone they had dreamed up at that point. They existed outside of the reality of me. I have thought about this before, but seeing the places they used to walk and sit in school today made me feel odd.

No comments: