Monday, December 31, 2007

Resolutions

Now is the time that we arbitrarily assign to making new goals and resolutions about how we have been living our lives. Is it cliche for me to have resolutions again this year? I decided to look at my list for 2007. Let's have a look here:

1. Limit alcohol consumption to one to two drinks per month.

To be honest, I have cut back on drinking overall, but I have had a few moments of heavy drinking. Everyone at James' party, Mike A., Jeremy, and Mike V. have seen the "fun" Lish during this times.

2. No fast food, not even when pressed for time.

Okay, so I still went to Subway (and yes, McDonald's several times).

3. No pizza, unless I make organic homemade pizza. (I will miss you, Jet's Pizza!)

That one didn't last, although I did make a lot more homemade pizza.

4. A minimum of thirty minutes of cardio every day.

That one last for a long time. I don't know what stopped me. I was losing weight and feeling great (pardon the annoying rhyme).

5. Count calories daily. Limit for first month = 1600, second month = 1500, third month = 1350...we'll see beyond that.

I did count calories for the better part of the year. I lost track during the holiday season, though.


6. Follow a daily chore schedule for each room in my home.


Yeah, that one didn't work out well. Jeremy's schedule is chaotic, at best, and grad school work took up almost all of my time.


7. Read at least two books (novels, biographies, etc.) each month.


I read a lot - just not that much. Maybe that should have been a goal for the summer only.

8. Do yoga three times per week.

I stopped within a month.

9. Join a music ensemble - I think Canton is looking at its newest percussionist.

I am thriving in the band. I LOVE it! I will continue this year. I scheduled grad school and other commitments around it.


10. Go to my doctor's regularly - dentist, regular physician, urologist (for my kindey stone problem), dietician, OB-GYN (to be honest, I am still holding off on this one).


I started going to the dentist regularly. I have an appointment on January 8th. I haven't been to any other doctors, though. My fear of the doctor borders on phobia-status. If I could list my urologist in Battle Creek as my primary care physician, I would travel to see him. He is a great doctor AND I used to teach at St. Philip with his wife. Their daughter was one of my journalism students years ago. Unfortunately, I have to have a "local" doctor.

_________________________________________________________

So what are my resolutions for this year?


1. Organize and decorate my ENTIRE home. I am tired of treating my townhouse as a temporary living situation. We currently are not in transition - this is our home. We need to make it look like a home.


2. Live healthier. That means: eating healthy food, counting calories, creating an exercise routine (preferably at Lifetime Fitness), managing stress positively, reduce or eliminate "excessive" behaviors in regard to food and alcohol, get out and enjoy life more (go dancing, traveling, etc.)

3. Learn one or two instruments (I am already doing well with my new tenor ukulele - the strings are tuned just like my soprano uke). I want to learn the harmonica (Jeremy bought me one for Christmas). I bought myself a drum set, but I already know the basics. I am thinking that, over the summer, I could start learning violin or something - maybe flute. Maybe I will even get voice lessons.

4. Clean my home more frequently.

5. Write more. I have just about abandoned journal writing - I've been posting more online, anyway.

6. Get married! I am addressing the planning stuff a lot lately. Lack of money is cutting my guest list significantly. Sorry, folks. Some of my cousins won't even be invited!

7. Play my ukulele in public - not school. I am not afraid of students.

8. Go to Germany.

9. Find and buy a house with some property, preferably out in the middle of nowhere.

10. Stop living so much in my head!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with what you wrote with #1 of this year. I have had had to convince myself to have the same change of heart with our place.