Monday, March 17, 2008

Returning to normal

Overall, today was a decent day. I was tired at work - not so much from my three-hour weep fest last night (which coincidentally hits every third night Jeremy is away) but more from my own boredom with so many of my students who refuse to study. I have resorted to daily quizzes to get them back in the habit. I hate being that teacher, but most of them have checked out mentally for the year. I do want my students to learn, and my boss is constantly telling us that when a child is not earning an A or a B, it is our fault rather than acknowledging the reality of the child not doing what they are expected to do. Any child who does not succeed in any course is simply told to "do better" while we teachers are stuck in meeting after meeting about what we must have done wrong. I dislike the administration versus the teaching staff scenario. It is akin to parent versus teacher problems that end up just pissing off everyone involved - and no one is putting the responsibility on the student.

Anyway, back to my decent day. No students showed up for test retakes or tutoring today, so I was able to leave fairly quickly. I read a little James Joyce for class (I LOVE DUBLINERS!) and then vegged out for about an hour.

I made dinner for Jeremy (low-carb mini margarita pizzas - homemade, homemade tomato-basil soup, and homemade garlic bread using the bread I baked yesterday). Yes, I was little Susie Homemaker today. It felt good to step back from some of the larger issues in my life and relax. We had planned to go to the gym, but I found more homework to complete. I've had a difficult time fighting this cold of mine, so maybe it is for the best. I wouldn't want to pass this along.

We watched some of the bonus features on The Office DVDs.

I did not drink today, and I am okay with that.

1 comment:

Joe C said...

Happy Easter.