Saturday, June 27, 2009

German Festival

I spent the afternoon and evening at German Park Recreation Center. I enjoyed a decent German Weissbier and talked with some people I had never before met. I learned that one works with my friend Will at Costco. We talked a little bit.

I spent time with my parents and my father's friends. It's somewhat strange to see him with his buddies, so I just sat back and observed. I can tell that he thoroughly enjoys these people.

I decided to get up and wander around. I called several people. Some answered; some didn't. I looked at the crowd from a distance and let the scene go silent in my head.

After a while, I began walking back to my parents. I saw someone who looked like a girl I had not seen in 15 years. I decided to approach. I asked if her name is Janelle, and she studied my face as she answered yes. I gave her my name and she asked if I used to have blond hair. It's been a long time since I had blond hair. My hair turned darker toward the end of middle school. We briefly talked, and I returned to my parents happy that someone I used to know was at a random German festival.

The world felt much smaller today, much more manageable.

No comments: