Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cider Mills, old friends and memories

Jeremy and I spent the afternoon with a good friend of his - Nathan. Nathan is a pilot and was on the second-to-last leg of his trip back to Houston, Texas. Nathan and Jeremy go way back - their families are close friends, and have been since before they had children, some thirty years ago. Nathan wanted to go to Franklin Cider Mill, an annual tradition his family kept until 1992 when they moved to Florida. I don't think he could have been happier visiting his old stomping grounds. The drizzle wasn't going to get in our way. We had donuts and cider. I haven't had a donut in almost a year, and it was a welcomed treat.

I told myself to get to bed early tonight, but I cannot seem to turn off the baseball game and march upstairs.

Something about tonight takes me back. I don't know if it is the weather or just the time of year. Perhaps it is the act of visiting a cider mill and drinking cider. In any case, I feel linked to nights years back, when Jeremy and I were both still in college. I used to call him late at night. I'd pick him up and take him back to my place. His roommates were convinced these calls were booty calls, and no matter how much Jeremy tried to explained that it wasn't like that, they just didn't seem to want to believe that two able-bodied college students could have the self-control to not have sex. I loved spending the night next to him. There was always something so comforting about feeling him breathe while he lay next to me. The neighbors would burn leaves outside, and I would cuddle up next to Jeremy - content. We slept in my little twin bed, arms tangled under blankets. We have a bigger bed now, with more blankets and pillows, but we still sleep tangled together, warm and content.

No comments: