Sunday, February 25, 2007

Point A to Point B

How did I go from being concerned about the driving in freezing rain to the "bitchy daughter who acts like [she] knows everything"?

I called my mother this morning to let her know I didn't really want to drive to Waterford to attend some (lame-ass) bridal show at the very hotel that Jack Kevorkian assisted suicide years ago. The weather isn't the greatest, and I didn't want to pay the $10.00 per ticket to have a bunch of vendors try to sell me things I don't want at my wedding (which will probably not take place for another years or so, or possibly never if Jeremy and I follow suit with the trend of our relationship). I said that I didn't think the roads would be the best, and there are many other shows we could go to that are a lot closer coming up in the next month.

This is when things went sour. My mother (the control freak, that she is) goes off, stating that I act like I know everything and this was just to "gather ideas". She then stated that Jeremy's mother must be butting in (which she hasn't, and has no plans to do, as per our discussion Friday night at dinner when she gave a handy-dandy wedding planning guide that lists just about everything step-by-step with charts and a nifty file folder system to keep track of it all).

I kept trying to calm my mother down, but she was off on a tirade, as usual. She said she had changed her mind, anyway, and wanted to go to one in Ann Arbor. Once again, I reminded her that the weather was not the best for driving and there are plenty of other expos over the next few months. She started yelling, and then said that I started the argument, claiming that I act like I know everything (hell...I should know about this. I used to help plan the gala receptions for my co-ed fraternity, AND I completed all of the planning for my sister's wedding while my parents went to work - my parents made me organize and coordinate everything that they had chosen).

I explained that Jeremy and I are broke, and a wedding is still far off in the future. She claimed that she and my dad will "help". That made me upset, as they paid for my sister's wedding in its entirety AND they paid for her bridal shower. They also gave my sister and her husband a big check as a present and told my sister not to tell me. I understand that times have changed and my dad is now retired. But, wouldn't it be nice to be treated equally? My mother is the most judgmental person I have ever known, and I know if my wedding isn't at least as nice as Autumn's, she will spend the rest of her life telling me how mine should have been better.

I tried to remain calm, but I told her to "shut up". I apologized immediately, started crying, and then tried to resolve everything. She tried to bring my dad into all of this, but I told her to grow up and deal with her own problems. She then spent ten minutes trying to end the phone with rude comments when she would start to hang up. I decided that I would not let her treat me the way that her mother treats her. I told her not to treat me that way, as I would simply not be treated like crap and take it.

She then said I can call her when I want to settle this. That's fine by me. I won't be calling - that doesn't hurt me one bit. In fact, I am far less stressed when I don't have to put up with her bitchery.

Now, I am thinking of calling all of it off. It's not like anything will be different. I just won't have to put up with the crazy wedding-planning nightmare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.. that sucks. Funny thing is that my mom and I have got in similar type arguements. Well, not so funny I guess.

It has only been 3 weeks but I am finally moved into the Townhouse. I was still sleeping at my parents house because I was not able to move my bed there until this week, due to logistical reasons.

Theodore and I are still in the process of organizing everything, but it is coming along. We are in Building 11 (I think?) unit 41062 on Canton Court. I could be wrong on that, I know where it is, but did not memorize the address yet.

Anyway, you are welcome to stop by anytime. We will be having Theodore's annual St. Patricks day dinner/get together in march. We will be combining it with our informal "housewarming." You and your fiance are definitely invited.

And congratulations again on your engagement.

Anonymous said...

Well, your dad did say that if you wanted to elope, he would pay for it.....
I hope you get everything straighted out soon....