Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Friend

I spent many hours talking to someone about life last night. I'm so grateful that he's softened so much from high school, although he was never outright mean to me, specifically. He and I have caught up on several occasions in the past couple of years - for his thirtieth birthday two years ago and on Facebook when I was dealing with new relationship issues.

He was diagnosed earlier this year with cancer. He's an optimistic person, and he was able to beat it very quickly with surgery and radiation. This visit home is more of a celebration of life than Christmas, although there has already been some merriment for him.

He put a few things in perspective for me, and through our interaction last night, I think he sees me in a broader context. I've been feeling a little down lately, and he knew what to say and do to lift my spirits. It's been quite some time since someone was able to figure me out like that. It felt very good learning that I don't have to feel the loss of a former friend because I have some pretty wonderful ones around me now. They may not say things in the exact way Mike would, but they offer exactly what he used to.

I plan to hang out again tonight, but I offered my place as a setting. We don't need to be hanging out in loud bars, etc. I just need to finish cleaning my living room, dining room, and kitchen. I think I might box up most of the stuff and throw it in my music/clutter room upstairs.

No comments: