Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!

I celebrated Christmas Eve with my immediate family. I received some of the things I asked for. I also received some stuff I really have no use for. I suppose that is the normal progression of things, right?

I was happy that people thought of me, and I was even happier that they liked what I had made or purchased for them.

We had a really relaxed celebration. My dad made homemade pesto pizza (which will be a more-than-exquisite breakfast tomorrow as I spend yet another Christmas Day alone). Mom had stopped by Ruby Tuesday to buy croutons by the pound for our salad (since they are my and my dad's favorite).

I brought homemade bread and some cookies (Autumn devoured the cookies).

We opened presents in the living room, a fairly standard practice. I was disappointed to see that my sister and her husband had a few more boxes to open than I did. This was not due to there being two of them.

My parents opted for a gift card for me to IKEA. While it's not a bad gift, I just sort of felt left out when I had provided my parents an emailed wish list from Target, itemizing a number of things that I would have liked (namely lamps and some odds and ends I could really use). I find most stuff at IKEA to be absolute garbage (especially their lighting products), excluding the couch I am sitting on now (although I don't think it's going to last for too many years). I had told them previously that I don't want anything else from IKEA because it all breaks so easily.

I know this makes me sound ungrateful. It just would have been nice to get a gift card for Target since everything I would like is there. Or, perhaps, a gift card to any place other than IKEA.

I didn't share my dissatisfaction. I had to stop myself after I asked them what I should get there, trying to send the message that I hate the place without causing some stupid argument. My mother replied, "Arm chairs that go with your couch...oh, wait, you bought other chairs...um, lamps, oh, the lamps you want are at Target." She then said she didn't know because everything I want is at Target this year. Really? I mean, really? How can one listen, seem to understand, and then not connect the dots?

I tried not to sulk because they bought me other things that I had asked for. I tried to keep myself in good spirits. I thanked Autumn for the presents she gave me. She said it was easy; I had emailed her a list from Target.


I hate receiving gift cards. I find them cop-outs to actually getting something for someone. Sometimes, that's fine, but if someone provides you with a detailed list and you are going to spend the same amount, why not get the items they want to open? It makes them feel special when they know that you ordered, found, carried, wrapped, and given that special item. I also have a terrible habit of not spending gift cards on myself. I wait for someone else to have a birthday or, hell, even the next Christmas to spend them on other people. I wouldn't want to buy anyone anything at IKEA, though. Wobbly dressers and kitchenware that falls apart while you are using it are not the right way to say 'I care.'

I'm certain I will go in there, battling the sea of pushy, loud, obnoxious, vile assholes each with their four to seven children in tow, to find something "special" to spend my gift card on. And I'll love it.

No comments: