Tuesday, May 12, 2009

MRSA

I had an interesting day. During second period, I had to move my class to another room because the custodial staff needed to disinfect my room. One of my students has MRSA. She is being hospitalized due to the severity of the infection - and it is not just contained to a specific area of her body. It's everywhere - arms, legs, scalp, face, mouth...everywhere.

The doctors are hopeful that she will recover, but it could easily go the other way. I don't know quite how to feel about this. I am not particularly close with this student, but the thought that she might not return next week or ever again(she has not been responding well to medical treatment because her diabetes prevents her from being able to take medication, etc.) is starting to hit me.

I am attached to these kids. They are a huge part of my life. I've lost two students in the past, and the loss still makes me cry. I don't know how to go about losing another. These kids have provided me stability at a time in my life when I feel completely unstable.

No comments: