Monday, January 17, 2011

My Friend

Your job is to support me. Maia taught me that last summer.

I've had close friends my entire life, but I suppose I didn't fully understand what the purpose was until now. I'd always been there to listen to my friends, but I don't think I had ever truly felt supported until Maia came into my life.

She is one of the most amazing people I have had the privilege to know. She has a beautiful family, a career that allows her to support others in their times of need, a darling husband who seems so completely terrific, and a wise kindness that allows her to see beyond what the rest of the world sees.

She told me last summer that although she had her own ideas about where my life might be heading, she knew she was supposed to support me in the choices I make - that the choices are MINE to make.

I think a lot about this particular conversation we had. It became clear that she stands out among my friends. She is one who isn't talking about me negatively behind my back. She isn't telling mutual friends that I need to leave behind the most important relationship of my life. She isn't lecturing me about still not being where I think I should be. She isn't giving me bad advice about meeting and interacting with new men.

Maia, you are an exquisite human being. You have experienced so many things, positive and negative, and you've never let anything keep you down. You are one of the most positive and wonderful people I've ever met. I am so fortunate to know you, and even more fortunate to have you as a friend.

Thank you for being the person you are.

No comments: