Saturday, January 01, 2011

No Resolutions for 2011

I was actually happy for 2010 to pass. Granted, there were many uplifting, wonderful moments (friends getting married, independent road trip, new romantic interests, new musical paths to follow, etc.), but the emotions of 2010 ran high, and I struggled to regain my bearings for most of the year. I know my friends tired of hearing me talk in circles and act in ways that didn't necessarily jive with what they had helped me understand about myself. It was, basically, a year of truly starting over, complete with the immature, self-indulgent moments that made me feel as though I had returned to my teenage years in the worst possible way.


I'm looking forward to new experiences tempered better with my resolve. I'm looking forward to picking a direction and seeing it through. I'm choosing to not state resolutions for this year because I understand that habits take time to break, and I have to allow for setbacks that aren't necessarily allowed in the scope of resolutions. One setback equals failure, and I refuse to let a setback destroy the work I am doing in practice or in belief.


Here is what I have already slated for 2011:

1. Canton Concert Band (although I may leave this group)
2. Ann Arbor Concert Band
3. Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti Ukulele Group (We are planning to have shirts made and participate in the Ann Arbor Festifools Parade this year, if time allows.)
4. Ypsilanti Symphony Orchestra (I'm trying them out for their first concert of the season. I'm not entirely sure if I will be sticking with them.)
5. Teaching (of course)
6. Finishing my grad project and earning my MA
7. A road trip to a still-undetermined place (possibly with friends, possibly alone again)


I'm considering starting voice lessons because I want to learn how to sing properly. I also want to take guitar, piano, and ukulele lessons. Heck, I'd even consider some drum set lessons again, because I can't seem to direct myself like I used to.

No comments: