Saturday, January 22, 2011

A New Look

I decided that my old blog page was a little too dark for me.

I just purchased more clothes, a new pastime that has allowed me to explore new trends, etc. I really do prefer the bookworm look, complete with the mild up-do and plastic-rimmed eyeglasses. Skirts, sweaters, flats...it's all starting to fall into place. I've been wearing some vibrant accent colors, although the trusty blacks and grays are still the primary threads.

I don't feel a hundred percent today, but some recent stress on top of a head cold sort of set me up for a weekend of rest and relaxation. Tempers are flaring at work. Schedule changes, accountability checks, exams, etc. It's all taking a toll on those around me. I, on the other hand, don't really feel worried.


I do feel somewhat left behind by my friends lately. I've been slinking back into the shadows because I think I know what I want and I am distancing myself from those who want something different for me. I learned that my friends have strong opinions about who I should be with. It's no one's decision beyond my own. I really don't want to hear their suggestions that I should be with someone else because they would be with someone else. They do not know all of the details about the different people in my life. It is not their business to know. I stopped asking for commentary or for others to listen some time ago, but they do not stop telling me what to do. When I ask them to stop, they become irritated and state that they are "just trying to help." Then they tell me that it is my decision, and I can do what I want. This would be fine if they meant it. I can understand tone quite well, and the tone each uses indicates to me that they don't believe I can make the right choice for myself.

It's disappointing that people think that I shouldn't live my own life on my own terms.

I probably won't be spending the time I used to on sustaining these friendships. I just feel like there are some people I can leave behind now. I never tell them how to live.

No comments: