Friday, August 29, 2008

August 29

I spent most of my day lazing about. I should have gone up to work to deliver my fridge to my classroom, but I just didn't feel like waking up when my alarm clock sounded. Plus, Mike A. crashed on the couch, and I didn't want him to feel rushed in leaving this morning.

Jeremy and I went to see Tropic Thunder tonight. I enjoyed it very much. Robert Downey, Jr., is absolutely phenomenal. Tom Cruise also did a great job. I wish more comedies put that much emphasis on good acting.

I was able to put in my contacts today before we left for the movie theater. I know it will take some time before I am totally proficient with the whole process, but an hour was way too long to be trying to force the damned things into my eyes. The left one goes in a bit easier, while the right one always gives me trouble. When my right eye is opened wide (complete with me holding the lid far up), the size of the lens is still slightly too big to just pop the thing in. This will continue to give me trouble for as long as I choose to wear contacts. For now, I have to put half it on, then pull my eyelid away from my eye and move my finger across my eye. It is a miserable ordeal, but that's just how it will have to happen for now.

The really disturbing thing for me is that I actually feel them on my eyes. People have told me that once they are in, I won't feel them. Maybe that comes with time. I don't know. I just feel this odd, heavy sensation on the eyeballs themselves while I feel my eyelids graze over something that shouldn't be there. It almost feels like eyelashes or fuzz caught in my eyes, but I don't feel a pressing need to rub them. However, they do itch a little. My eyes do not like the solution that I am supposed to use on the lenses either.

Tuesday marks the beginning of a brand new school year, and I am really excited about this year. I have two sections of German 1, two sections of Honors English 9, one section of regular English 9, and Seminar. I have so much to print for Tuesday, and our school building is closed for the entire weekend. Damn. I guess I will just have to show up at 6 AM on Tuesday so that everything will be ready when my students arrive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always felt my contacts while they were in my eyes. It made my eyes feel heavy and tired. But they usually didn't hurt.

What solution are you using? I like to use the Opti-free. It was a one bottle cleaner and solution that usually made my eyes feel much better. I think Alcon is the brand.

Stepho said...

Do you have any allergies? I know in the fall I have a harder time wearing contacts comfortably from the ragweed. I switched to a bio-material contact (they're called ProClear) and it helped immensely. They're much more comfortable than silicone based. Your optometrist might be able to score you a sample pair of different lenses. Surprisingly, lenses DO feel different amongst the brands.