Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Highs and Lows

I got a library card today. I have been living here for one year, almost to the day. I have purchased books left and right, fully knowing that I could have checked them out of a local library. I just wasn't ready until today. I am now officially part of the community.


When I returned home, I found that the maintenance workers or landscaping contractors ripped out my flowers. They hadn't bloomed yet, but they certainly did not resemble weeds.

I planted the seeds in March. I have worked on the flowerbeds since then. I cared for them. I watered them. I nurtured them. I loved them.

They were a bit slow to start, but they were nearing their first bloom cycle. I am so upset that they are gone - not just because of the time, money, and energy I put into them - more so because their lives were cut short. They didn't get to do what every living thing tries to do - thrive and reproduce. They were doing well, but the lack of blooms means that I will have to plant again next year as these were annuals.

No comments: