Sunday, July 25, 2010

Milwaukee-Inspired

The wedding I was in on Saturday was amazing! The preparations were something I did not look forward to, but the day was absolutely wonderful, from start to finish...and beyond.

I met someone - we'll call him Milwaukee because that is where he currently lives - at the rehearsal who inspired me. As one of the groomsman, he was everything to the groom he was supposed to be. To the bridesmaids, he was more. He pulled out our chairs for us and helped me up from my seat so that I wouldn't injure my sprained ankle and further. He danced with me, even though he knew he could not spin me, and we we had a good time.

He and I sat in the limo, talking about Europe, education, the job opportunities we both have at our fingertips, etc. He is absolutely charming, easy to talk to, and his good looks are a bonus.

Milwaukee kept pouring the wine, and we talked about the journeys we've been on. He grew up moving around a lot - not just around the U.S., but the world. When he brought up the international schools he attended, I felt this inspiration I've felt in the past. Having never attended one, I am really curious how they operate. I seriously considered a move to Europe some time ago (I even started the paperwork), but my gave up after my ex-fiance didn't see much opportunity for him to continue in his profession there. I stopped researching the schools that I would be applying to and gave up on this desire.

Saturday, though, gave me the chance to speak to a worldly man who (although a few yeas younger) has seen and done so much more all over the world. His profession sends him everywhere, and he seems to love the cultural variety of his different destinations. He knew some German, having lived in Switzerland for some time while he was young, and I was able to use that German tongue that is not exercised enough to retain what it used to know.

After the wedding and reception, a large group of us met at a local bar. I continued talking to Milwaukee about living abroad. I am infinitely curious about this experience as I have not had the opportunity to do so.

I don't know if this might be someone who becomes a friend over the years of gathering with the bride and groom, but he inspired me more than most people around me the past year. I am going to see what the world has to offer, and I am not going to waste another minute putting off what I put off for other people over the years.

Thank you, Milwaukee. I needed the reminder to get out there and live.

Oh, and I just learned from my mother that Milwaukee may be someone I knew as a very young child. How weird would that be!?!

No comments: