Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Name is NOT Grace for a Reason!

Today started like most days. I heard my alarm sound, and I flailed my arms and legs to wake up and reach over to turn it off. I couldn't reach it. I had plugged my phone into the wall, so I needed to stand.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and hopped up. Unfortunately, something wasn't quite working right. I had absolutely no control over the muscles in my legs. I could feel my left leg straining to hold me up, but my right leg seemed without solid structure. It flopped sideways and I fell hard upon it.

I heard a popping sounds, similar to the sound of knuckles cracking. I felt a numbness for a brief moment and then lots of tingling in my right shin and foot.

I pull myself up to a seated position against the bed, slowly moving my legs up and down to gain control of them again. As I tried wiggling toes and bending and flexing my feet, I began to register this intense pain in my right arch and around the bones on the inner side of the foot. It was somewhat like a muscle cramp but much more intense. I could still move my foot, but the range of motion was limited due to some immediate swelling.

I pulled myself back onto the bed and lay very still, hoping that whatever was off would re-align itself. Eventually, the throbbing subsided a little, and I decided to try to walk. That was probably not the best thing for me. I was unable to stand again - not because I didn't have the strength I lacked before - because I experienced pain so severe that I was howling and crying out as I toppled over a second time.

I knew in that instant that I should visit the ER, but I didn't want to admit defeat. I crawled into the tub and took a rather clumsy shower and got ready for the day...at least as well as one can without the ability to put clothes on the standard way. I avoided going downstairs for a while because I didn't know how I was going to climb down without causing more pain.

I eventually settled on scooting down the stairs, one at a time. I couldn't crawl because pointed my toes was painful. I eventually got downstairs and tried to pull myself together.

I gave in and called my dad to bring over my mom's crutches. While I waiting for him, I sideways crawled about my place, gathering things I needed like my purse, shoes, and ice from the freezer (which was not easy to retrieve). I elevated my leg on the couch and chatted with friends online in hopes that their lives would be able to distract me from the pain.

My dad arrived, and we headed to the hospital. I was treated quickly after being routed to the non-surgical emergency pediatrics area (PEDIATRICS! ME! 29!). I had X-rays done, as well as an exam from a very attractive young doctor (who was wearing a wedding ring - darn). After only a couple of hours, I was on my way with the same diagnosis and treatment I had figured out on my own.

I'm in pain, but I will take it easy. I need this to heal as quickly as possible.

No comments: