Thursday, August 05, 2010

What Would You Do?

As a society, I think Americans have lost something vital to any prosperous and caring nation - heart.

I often complain about the lack of action and reaction in others. I think the United States offers a fractured version of what community used to mean. And then there are shows like What Would You Do?

ABC may be trying to either instruct or shame us into realizing what we should be doing for one another.

It's unfortunate that we must use television to teach what parents are supposed to teach, but our society is so pregnant with glorifying despicable behavior and general disregard for anything outside of ourselves that I think we all need a reality check. I do applaud ABC for pointing that out to us and showing us how we should be acting and reacting (by stopping and speaking with people who do and do not do what we, as a society, believe they should do).


When I visited Europe a couple of summers ago, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find assistance. Germans are not well known for their immediate warmth (this is something that is developed over time in German culture). I had a medical problem on the flight over but did not need emergency care. The flight attendants brought me aspirin, but that did not alleviate the problem. They couldn't really offer more than that, but they did try to find a solution to my problem.

When I reached Frankfurt airport, the pharmacist in die Apotheke was very warm and very helpful. She saw I was in agony and made sure that I had absolutely everything I needed before leaving the shop. She also provided me information that I might need later in the week. I was appreciative and thanked her profusely. She looked surprised, probably because it is her duty as a pharmacist to help those in need and it is expected to act accordingly. I suppose I am not accustomed to people really doing what we in America consider going above and beyond to ensure the safety and comfort of others.

When leaving the Munich airport, I was puzzled by the brand new train ticket machine. It was just replaced and I was unfamiliar with the different options (I had made sure to make note of what the travel administration had said would be in the station to help move things along faster). I stood there, deciphering my different options (some were new and better deals and I wasn't sure what I'd be needing throughout my visit). A very sweet older woman approached and helped me, smiling the whole time, and explaining the options in English (I am aware of how "American" I appear, i.e. being overweight, standing in line with lots of space around me, and generally looking confused by other languages although I do know a lot of German). She was an absolute delight and asked questions that helped me figure out what I needed.

I thanked her profusely, as well, trying to demonstrate how much I appreciated her time and energy. She probably had some place to be. I wish I would have asked her name. When I thanked her, she seemed surprised, as if her actions didn't even beg a thank-you. Helping me must have seemed the right thing to do for her and no one should necessarily have to thank someone for that.


From watching WWYD?, I have learned that there are still people in the United States teaching their children to assist others, although the people who speak up and act are definitely in the minority (and oftentimes, people who are immigrants to our nation). I hope that seeing on TV what we should be doing as a society will send a positive message to the masses about what community truly means.

1 comment:

MrsPookJohansen said...

This is fantastic. I have actually read this blog a couple times now. It is so true. Even just here in Canada the people feel very differently about their loyalty and obligation to their community. In the USA, they talk so much about patriotism and pride...but they have become empty ten cent words used only to point fingers and prosecute those who don't have the pledge memorized...yet they won't pay a single dime to see that their neighbor might be able to see a doctor? CTV had these interviews with random people on the streets in Vancouver...asking them what they thought about the riots in the US over the proposed health care bill. One man (an older gent with grey hair) was asked if he would pay for a bum for be able to see a doctor. He looked absolutely perplexed at the news man, and with a confused furrow in his brow he said "Homeless or not, that is my fellow countryman." Now THAT is patriotism and worthy of pride.