Wednesday, October 06, 2010

No Title

Drew asked me why I seem so happy lately. I responded with a quick, "I'm usually this happy."

He didn't seem to buy it, even though it's the truth. Drew and I have been colleagues and friends for over four years now, and his observation gave me pause to think about who I am at work.

I don't remember being miserable at work. Sure, it's a taxing job that wears one down over time, but I've never been an angry person at work. Stressed at times, sure, but never downright pessimistic. With friends, I could be. I could share my displeasure or irritation with the system over a drink. I could use that as a backdrop to complain about my life because I had many things going on that should not have been going on.


I must not have been showing my hope and optimism for some time. Drew wasn't at my school last year, having been shifted to the middle school due to seniority (I am just ahead of him on the seniority list - I signed my contract one hour before he did back in 2006.). He saw the beginning of the unraveling process the school year before when my life was not under complete control, but we didn't see each other much all last year. He didn't see how I finally broke free from the anger, frustration, pain, and other emotions that were gnawing at me. He didn't see me start to take better care of myself and get the vitamins I needed daily to correct some physiological issues that had resulted in some major health issues, both on the physical and mental levels.

I think he doesn't have a context for me now. He's surprised by my smile and frequent laughter, even though I didn't avoid these things before. I just used them more in the classroom with my students rather than with my colleagues during lunch breaks.

We are jovial in the workplace, which makes me feel connected to my peers.

I sometimes wonder what a night out with some old friends would be like, but then I remember that they are part of my past and would probably have no context for me now. They might see my behavior as an act rather than the current status quo, just as a few did when I started to let myself feel cheerful again.

Oh, and today I think I gave some "bad" advice to a friend. He had asked for advice twice, and he didn't like the direction I went the first time around, so I offered him the advice he wanted to hear. Of course, there was a disclaimer that I was simply playing devil's advocate because he didn't want to head down the opposite path and had asked again. My advice is never in the form of what someone should do. It's more of a possible (realistic) sequence of events that could result from the behavior someone else suggests. I am very good at mapping cause-and-effect scenarios.

No comments: