Thursday, April 27, 2006

chit chat

I had an interesting meeting with a coworker today. He is one of the tech support gurus, and he called me to his office to discuss something. I thought it would be something about me blogging or printing a bunch of stuff for my students in the computer labs (we are supposed to order copies a few days in advance from one of the secretaries - this isn't always practical). As it turns out, he just wanted to chit chat. We had talked a couple of weeks back in another area of the building.

I am not one for making friendships at work. I am friendly, but I just don't want to connect with most people. I've had some serious issues in the past several years that I don't wish to experience again. Can you say 'restraining order'? It never fully came to that, thank God, as T. was detained and sentenced to serve time for a drug possession charge. The matter sort of resolved itself. By the time we was released, I had moved back to Michigan. My friends tell me he has stabilized himself and will not contact me again.

I find it easier to be pleasant and polite at work without divulging too much about myself. This individual seems persistent, though. I don't want to be rude, but I find him to be a little odd - not odd in a bad way, but odd in that I cannot read certain aspects of his behavior. I am usually quite good at this. I pick up that he is lonely - he is the only member of his immediate family still alive and he is not dating anyone. I just don't need someone around me who will turn into a clinger. I am starting to believe that men and women can never really be friends. What a "When Harry Met Sally" moment that was. I apologize for the wonderfully cliche comment, but it has really started to ring true.

No comments: