Saturday, April 08, 2006

Weekend looking bright

I am in class at WMU at the moment. I have almost finished the article I've been staring at nearly a year. One of my advisers is going through it and giving me more comments. I have a few items to add, including JPEGs of the actual forms and assignments I used last year. I will be so happy when this gets published. I won't be paid anything - no one is for this periodical, but it will be nice to have my teaching practices in print for others to see.

Autumn is in Allegan and will be stopping in Paw Paw to see me later today. This will be the second or third time she's come to visit me at my place since I moved out in 1998.

Jeremy is driving out tomorrow to visit. I can't wait. If the weather is nice, perhaps we will go the Kalamazoo Nature Center and walk the trails. We haven't done that together before.

Another reason to be happy...I was looking through an OLD container full of my writing and found the entry and form from a writing contest I won in high school. All this time, I thought it was a state-wide contest, but as it turns out, is was national. It definitely was a 'holy shit' sort of moment. The strange thing was that I just filed the paper and then went back to cleaning. I just have so much more important things to think about. Strange logic, seeing as I am a writer.

Bren called me yesterday. We haven't talked in a long time. He's at EMU, studying English (creative writing & literature). I am so happy for him. We both are literary snobs, and it is good to see that he is doing something with that. I still haven't met his girlfriend. Perhaps this summer we will all get together. Maybe Ben will be there, too. Haven't talked to him in almost two years.

Mike and I spoke a little yesterday. He is going through the same thing I am with teaching - stacks and stacks of paperwork. It's the curse of the English teacher. It is always good to hear his perspective on life.

The sun is shining. I'm watching from the tenth floor as someone is getting pulled over on Stadium Drive. I feel like writing today.

No comments: