Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bittersweet

I was cleaning and packing up my belongings today. I had to call maintenance because my garbage disposal wasn't working properly. The man arrived quickly and took care of the problem immediately.

It dawned on me that I am really going to miss this apartment. I absolutely LOVE the complex I live in. The floorplan is smart and modern. I have a HUGE bathroom and a HUGE kitchen. Granted, I don't have a washer and a dryer in my individual unit, but this place has simply been a terrific place to live. The surprising thing is that this is considered "luxury" living in Paw Paw. It's not what I would consider luxury, but it is definitely nifty. The staff is so helpful and they get to know the residents fairly well. Everything is run so efficiently. Jeremy even said that he likes it here. If only I could move this entire place over to the Detroit area. If I were within an hour of my job, I'd consider staying.

I am already seeing a negative with the place where I will be living. They cannot keep their office paperwork in order. They've lost several forms that I turned in on Saturday. I then had to scramble to get things squared away today, as I NEED the apartment this month. The office staff is somewhat rude, but I usually don't have any issues with management, so I really have no reason to contact them. They claim that it takes 3-4 days to process everything for new tenants, which is a total fabrication of the truth. I've been through this process so many times - most people do all of the reports and contacts in front of you. The longest one I have ever witnessed took 45 minutes. The shortest - 7 minutes (and that was because the printer was jammed). I have sparkling credit, a clear and positive tenancy record, and I submitted paystubs from my current employer, as well as a letter stating my new salary and contract details from my new school. I pointed out their ineffective use of time today. I don't think they liked that.
Why am I moving there, then? Well, they have an incredible deal: a two-bedroom townhouse with a full basement for 709.00/month, plus 100.00 off each month for four months. W/D hook-ups in the basement and they pay for the water. No pet rent, either.

We always need to weigh what's important with what we can tolerate.

No comments: