Friday, July 21, 2006

Brian Vander Ark at the Kraftbrau

Mike V. asked me to join him at the Brian Vander Ark performance at Kraftbrau tonight. Mike and I met for dinner, then made our way to the brewery. He drank beer and I drank wine. The show was great - it has been so long since I went to any concert, regardless of the size. It felt strange to see someone who was once so famous playing a small venue like Kraftbrau, but that doesn't mean the place wasn't packed. Perhaps a smaller audience is better for building a rapport. He was very polite and personable; I can see why Mike idolizes him so. After the performance ended (and Mike procured an autograph), Mike and I went to Monaco Bay (formerly called Rum Runners) and sat through about an hour of dueling pianos. It was a good time. Lots of discussion. Lots of drunk people. Lots of good cheer all around.

I thanked Mike V. for helping me love Kalamazoo again, especially since I am moving away next weekend. He said it is always good to leave on a good note. That just shows Mike's personality. Although he claims he is a cynic, I don't think he is. He believes in creating positive experiences wherever he goes. He is the loyal and somewhat sensitive type, who is known to write songs about those he loves. He is extremely healthy - he works out a lot and eats healthy. He is an English teacher who loves music (he sings and plays the guitar). He's good-natured and loves to read. But he just can't find sustaining love. C'mon ladies...he is prime for the picking!

I had such an incredible night. I really should hang out with friends more often. I was almost able to forget how much I miss Jeremy. I saw him last Sunday, and I will not see him again until next Thursday or Friday.

I am missing Mike K. and Noelle's barbecue next weekend because I am moving, but Noelle should be in the Detroit area mid-August. We can hang out then. I hope Mike is with her. I haven't seen him since high school. We kept in touch minimally through the years while he was in the army and when he was discharged. I was totally shocked to learn that he married Noelle - one of my friends from college. What a small world!

................................

My apartment is nearly packed in its entirety. I still have a few things that I will be using over the next week, but the boxes are sitting right next to the items.

No comments: