Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Summer recaps

Summer vacation isn't the way I remember it, but then again, I haven't really had a real vacation (without a job or classes) since high school. I'm thinking I will sit down and work on several of the stories I've been mulling over. I also need to keep publishing my professional article pieces about teaching. I am also exercising. I went walking yesterday, which would have been jogging, but I decided to walk to the library to return books. It's a little difficult to maintain a constant speed and cycle of breathing when the books keep falling from one's hands. I have been studying German to brush up on my skills for the MTTC German test and for the fall; I will be teaching German and English at a high school in the Metro Detroit area - well, it will be official as soon as I sign the paperwork next Monday. I am excited, but I don't think they will put me higher up on the pay scale. I don't want base pay, but I know every district is playing the budget game. I have two years from Florida, which will not be considered - I can understand that. The two years from Michigan include one year in a private school (not usually used for consideration) and one year from a public school (which should be considered). I'll keep you posted.


Summers past:

Last year, I was still working two jobs outside of my teaching career and took on graduate classes at WMU and BSU (it was all jolly good fun, though).

In 2004 I drove up from Florida and took over my sister's wedding plans (remind me to just elope, would you?).

In 2003 I spent most of my time taking classes to complete requirements for my teacher certification.

2002 was interesting. I moved to Florida, changed my life completely by moving in with Jeremy, got a kitty, worked two different jobs (receptionist at a nifty sports complex and substitute preschool teacher) and then was hired as a full time teacher in a middle school.

I took Summer I and Summer II session classes in 2001. I also worked with my high school marching band and Payless ShoeSource (what an awful job! I hate feet).

2000 - Worked full time at a hardware store. I smelled like keys and fertilizer. I did perform in an orchestra, though, in Dearborn and was paid fairly well for it. Started dating Jeremy. He had a dozen roses delivered one month after our first date. It almost scared me off.

1999 - Worked at the very same hardware store. Was still dating my ex and things were going really well. I thought it was going to last forever. Participated in orchestra.

1998 - Worked a lot at the hardware store. Participated in orchestra.

1997 - Last real summer vacation. Spent so much time with friends and my ex. Band camp (no jokes, please). Slept in a lot. Wrote a lot.

No comments: