Friday, June 30, 2006

No Traverse City trip tomorrow

Jeremy drove out to get ready for our trip up north for the weekend. We ended up in an argument about my move back to the Detroit area. He and I will be sharing a place, most likely in Canton, but he really hasn't taken initiative and sought out places to live - and he's already living in the area. I've had to spearhead this endeavor, and I have been making multiple trips from the west side of the state to take care of this. In fact, the last time I drove out, he wouldn't even meet me to visit places together. He was sitting at home watching TV. This lack of interest and cohesion has left me feeling somewhat angry, and the anger reared its ugly head for a short spat that resulted in silence for the better part of an hour.

We talked about finances and sorted through our respective budgets, as I will be taking a slight pay cut in the new school district. We determined that leaving town tomorrow for an unnecessary trip is not in our best interest - we will be paying rent for our current places, as well as rent and a deposit (most likely equal to one month's rent) in the next three weeks for a new place, then the next month's rent soon after that. Perhaps I should take my uncle up on his offer for temporary relocation into his townhouse in Ann Arbor. I just would prefer not to get into any business dealings with family members. Plus, he is placing it on the real estate market soon, and I would hate to get in the way of that process.

Although I know it wouldn't be economically wise to take a trip out of town (Jeremy and I had planned for a day or two in Traverse City, then two days of sailing on the Great Lakes with Jeremy's parents in their rather cushy sailboat), this will be the only chance we both have for a vacation this summer. I want to seize this opportunity. Maybe Jeremy and I will complete some calls tomorrow and decide to drive up north early on Sunday. I think we need to get away from everything that burdens us, if only for a day or two.

2 comments:

Lish said...

It's not that he doesn't want me there - it's that he grew up in a house in which he really didn't have to take a lot of responsibility for stuff like this.
We've lived together before - several years ago (our employment situations prevented us from living together these past two years, though). The situation was quite different then - he was in school full time, and I was supporting both of us on a beginning teacher salary. Now, I will be teaching but going to grad school, and he will be working (he works only 2-3 days per week in his current job - this IS full time and he is paid well for it). He will be taking on another job so that we have expendible cash.

Anonymous said...

you'll want to curb the laziness thing ASAP!! if you don't want it to continue, he needs to understand that it isn't acceptable. As long as you let it happen, so will he.