Thursday, June 01, 2006

Interview recap

So, yesterday I went to both of my interviews. It turns out that the first one wasn't even a FT English position - the principal had advertised it incorrectly. It is a 3/5 German, 2/5 English position...and he didn't even bring it up. He just let his German teacher speak to me auf Deutsch and I had to roll with it. I had to ask a question of clarification for him to explain what had happened. Throwing me into a situation like that - blind - does not make for the best interview, to say the least. Hell, I am not even German certified! The principal called today, though, and left a message asking me to contact him tomorrow. I know they have more people to interview, so I should not have received a call yet. I don't even know if I want to teach German. My skills have gone down the crapper over the past four years. I don't know if I will be able to build them up in time. Plus, I will have to register for the MTTC German test, which I hear, is a nightmare to take. Most people fail it the first two or three times they take it. That is not what I want to hear. I suppose I will just find out tomorrow what the principal wants.

The second interview at the college prep school was phenomenal!!! I cannot tell you how incredible it was to be there, teaching to their students for 45 minutes. I don't think I have ever had so much fun teaching a brand new class. I didn't feel nervous. I didn't stutter. I didn't talk in circles. The lesson went by so quickly and easily - I WANT TO WORK THERE! I met with all different people afterward. I am the only person being interviewed who does not have a master's or a doctoral degree. I have the training and experience they want, though. I will hear back in a little over a week. I am on pins and needles till then. The facility was gorgeous - it looks like an art gallery in the high school lobby - and the craftsmanship of the work is amazing. The students were absolutely wonderful to me, even clapping at the end of the lesson. They are very bright, well-trained in literary work, very much involved in the classroom discussion and activities. I was totally shocked. I knew they would be great, but that great!?! The discussion in the class was akin to something at the college level AND they are only ninth graders! Most of the faculty has at least a master's degree, most have their PhD's. A number of them are Ivy Leaguers. I need to work in an environment like that.

But money may take precendence. I don't know how much they pay, and I want to plan ahead for my retirement, as well as my graduate study, etc. along the way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I knew you would do it! I hope you find yourself with the delightful dilemnma of choosing between two great offers!!!

What schools did you interview at?

Peaj said...

Congrats to you Lish. Are you goign to be at Brendans Wedding? I thought I remembered you posting something about it.

Lish said...

Thanks!
I am going to Brendan's wedding in June. I will try to keep my blog updated better. I've been so busy lately.