Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Upcoming Interview

I set up an interview with one of the best school districts in Michigan for a .8 German/World Languages position at a middle school. While I feel confident that the job would be fun and I'd be comfortable teaching the subject matter (despite the BASIC Spanish that I'd have to teach for 3 weeks), the fact that it is .8 does worry me. The extra time off each day would be conducive to my full grad schedule, but the lowered income would be a concern. The district may offer tuition reimbursement that could actually make this job worth it in the long run, though.

My current district offers nothing as far as tuition reimbursement even though I am REQUIRED to gone on for more education. I currently do not receive any sort of funding for any professional development. Other districts in which I have worked have always allocated money for this - it's standard operating procedure - even at the Catholic school where I wasn't paid enough to live.

The interview carries with it the idea that that district in northern Oakland county is one that would be great to work for. The 95% college entrance rate for graduates is impressive for any public school district. I could be very happy spending the rest of my career in a community that values education.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best of luck! I am so excited for you that the opportunity arose!! And since I work in Warren and will be going to school in Auburn Hills, we'll be close by and maybe get to hang out more during the school year!!!

Joe C said...

Saw this link on cnn.com and thought of you as per the life-saving debate which occurred here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/08/02/o.marriage.questions/index.html

And I wanted to make a comment regarding my last comment in the dreams post. Well, more of a disclaimer, due to our past and whatnot -- I in no way meant to convey that you weren't ready for marriage. I think you are ready for that level of commitment, but are going through the "cold feet" motions where you question if it's right. Everyone goes through that, and i think the dreams may be a manifestation of that. You are a good kid, and Jeremy's a lucky guy to be having you for a lifetime. I wish you the utmost happiness.

Joe C said...

Oh, good luck with the district. Byrd's teaching there at the high school level.