Wednesday, August 01, 2007

House Hunt

Although Jeremy and I have decided to stick it out for another year in our current rental, we are eagerly searching for a house. I am hoping that we will have a solid lead, if not a home of our own, by this time next summer.

I have just witnessed too many things living here.

Yesterday, eight or nine teenage boys decided to set several items on the playground on fire, fueling the flames with a bottle of lighter fluid. While this was going on, I saw several drug deals. The cops weren't as helpful as they've been in the past.

A couple of nights ago, Jeremy and I looked out the sliding glass door to see police cruisers and a number of youths. It turns out there was some sort of fight stemming from a drug deal gone bad. At the end of the ordeal, at least four people were arrested and taken away.

The kids here are absolute pieces of shit. A group of African-American males dismantled the tables at the pavilion. These same kids scream obscenities at each other all hours of the day, which is not appreciated by me or any of the families who like to take their kids to the playground (or those who need to sleep). My next-door neighbor likes to have her family over, which is her prerogative, but all they do is scream (happy, angry...it doesn't matter).

I caught a kid touching Jeremy's car yesterday. I don't understand the total lack of respect for other's things. Well, maybe I do. I can understand that if all of your shit is a mess, then you probably resent those who do have nice things (even though you could, too, if you took care of your own stuff). He walked away quickly, and I haven't seen him touch it again.


I am just ready to enjoy my own space with, God-willing, a decent amount of land. I found the best possible deal today on a house built in 2005. It has almost everything Jeremy and I want. The location is exactly where we want. The catch? We don't have jobs in the Traverse City area. I doubt the house will be on the market long enough for us to wait it out another year.


Jeremy did go for a nice walk today in the 95-degree heat. It was actually pretty nice. I picked up fliers from several houses for sale in Canton. There were a couple in a decent neighborhood that offered some unique amenities. Maybe we will just get our "starter" house around here, and then save up for our dream house in Traverse City.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not had any problems in my unit.

I have come to believe that it truly depends where in the complex one lives as to what troubles they have.

I am glad we delibrately chose to have a unit tucked into a corner like ours. We have a small, almost private, courtyard out back, and our front walk is off of the main walkway, and off the parking lot.

You know, You have been there. I guess I am glad we did not choose the unit we were offered across from you, also facing the playground.

I have noticed that a lot of the once avaliable units have now filled with obvious RedNeck peoples. I wonder if they marketed in the sough somewhere? ;)

Anyway, I am bored at work, and typing between calls. I guess I should focus more on my job.

Lish said...

We weren't given a choice. When we mentioned that we didn't want to face a playground, as we don't have any kids, we were told that no other unit was available. I know this was a lie, but the woman in the office was unwilling to give us another.

Management is better now, but we are still stuck in this crap hole facing the playground.

Joe C said...

Buying a house doesn't get you away from this in the slightest, just to forewarn you. In fact, it lock you into a location much more. At least you can move.

I get kids causing all kinds of havoc around my yard and such, and luckily, it's the 4-10 year old type of carnage. I plan on moving before I get into their teen years, because -- as James can attest -- kids will do some stupid things. James, Dan Harris, Ben Priest and I used to do some damage to a lot of things. I'd name them, but I have a clean record. I'm not sure about James.

I wouldn't buy a house if you aren't where you want to be, especially considering you saying your school district is crap (as per drunken conversing) and Jeremy's choice of employment. A house is hard as hell to sell, especially in Michigan's economy.

Anonymous said...

But buying a house does give you more control over what happens on your property. And you own it, you build equity in it.

Selling a house later on is something that all homeowners have to deal with no matter when where they buy a house. The housing market is in a slump, but it is cyclical. It will eventually turn around -- just no garuntees on when.

I can't wait to build my own house. I want it dead center in the middle of my property with equal amounts of land on all sides. I want to be close enough to others that I can see my neighbors' houses, but not the neighbors in their houses.